Learn about the basics of Google My Business, and the recent updates to this free and easy-to-use online marketing resource
Google My Business is a free resource for businesses which can be used to increase brand visibility, website traffic, product or service enquiries, improve search engine optimisation, and general engagement. Google My Business (GMB) is a listing which appears on the first page of Google search results and incorporates a map showing the location of your business. The listing will also appear in Google when a direct search for your business name and location is made. This resource has been around since 2014, but Google has recently made several new upgrades to help your business flourish in 2020.
The Basics of Google My Business
GMB is useful for businesses as it is a free and easy way of increasing your Google ranking, and will potentially appear on the first page of a Google search. The key to success is to fill out as much information as possible to gain the most value from your listing. The Google algorithm is complicated, however there are some things every business should be doing in order to get the best results:
- Keep your information up to date: this includes your business hours, address and contact details.
- Ask for reviews from your customers and engage with them: while not guaranteed, the business with the most reviews is more likely to be shown at the top of the GMB listings. Responding to your Google reviews has also shown the potential to improve your listing. This also helps with reputation management and building great relationships with customers.
- Have high-quality, up to date photos to improve your brand image and accurately reflect your business.
- Update your products or services: this feature is a great tool to advertise your products or services and to promote them to potential customers. This feature is only available to certain industries, and you should utilise it if you can.
- Share your posts, offers and updates: certain industries can list offers, updates, and posts through GMB. This function can act as a notice board for your business, and gives you the ability to share your most valuable and exciting updates. This is a powerful tool for gaining customer attention.
Recent Upgrades to Google My Business
In addition to the basics, Google has made some recent upgrades which are particularly useful for businesses operating during COVID-19. These can help you to manage your business more efficiently and successfully during these unprecedented times:
- “Temporarily Closed” status: this feature allows businesses to differentiate between temporary and permanent closures. This feature is useful during a pandemic; however, it is also particularly useful for seasonal businesses, or if your business is temporarily closed for renovations or maintenance.
- More hours: secondary hours are additional hours alongside your traditional business opening hours. Depending on your business, you can add additional hours to advertise special, exclusive hours for your customers. Examples being a “locals hour” for special local discounts, or making distinctions between “dine-in” and “takeaway” hours for hospitality businesses.
- Support and donation links: this feature allows potential customers to easily view how to support your business through buying a gift card, store credit, or even donating to your business through a third-party website such as gofundme.com. If your business sells gift cards or vouchers, this is a great opportunity to advertise them. Especially approaching the Christmas gifting period.
Google My Business is a fantastic tool for improving your businesses digital presence.
If you are not already using Google My Business, you can learn more and sign up here.
Are you already using this resource? You can learn more and keep up to date with the changes being made to Google My Business here.
If you are still confused about how Google My Business can benefit you and your business, get in touch with one of the Dubzz team. We are more than happy to help.