What is Content Marketing and how does it drive consumer behaviour?
If you see the phrase “content marketing” and draw a blank, it’s OK. The concept behind content marketing is as old as marketing itself, but the term “Content Marketing” is just now emerging as a concept and practice in the digital age.
So, what is Content Marketing?
Content marketing is the strategic marketing technique of creating and distributing valuable, relevant and consistent content to attract and acquire a clearly defined audience, with the objective of driving profitable customer action.
Content marketing includes content that is NOT ordinarily about products and services. It’s content that is useful and wanted by the audience, and causes the reader/engager to know, like and trust the company creating the content, which leads to positive buying behaviour in the future.
What does Content Marketing look like in the real world?
Content marketing can come in the form of a blog, an infographic, a guest column in the newspaper, a how-to-video, or an editorial in an industry publication.
How is Content Marketing different from an advertising campaign?
Campaigns are a cost that provides value at a moment in time. Content marketing is an investment that, if done well, provides increasing value over time. Content marketing is more than just a way to sell a product. It is a means of creating a long-term and meaningful relationship between your business and your audience.
How can you make Content Marketing effectively work for your company?
The first step is strategy. This can be as basic as figuring out the types of content, subject areas, and content platforms that are most likely to engage your audience. Once you have a strategy, get creating!
To get the most of your content creation; here are some tips:
- Source and generate relevant content – Create content that is readable, helpful and (most importantly) shareable. Ask yourself if your content offers the quality and satisfies the needs, wants, and expectations of your target group.
- Promote Action – An impactful headline is a key way to motivate. Use examples from the news or a strong statement; the shorter and crisper the better. Once you have the reader hooked, storytelling should be combined with a call for action to motivate buyers to act in a direction leading to your products or services.
- Identify channels – So you wrote an amazing article… how will your audience find it? In the digital age, there are accessible options. A blog on your website, an email marketing campaign, a post on social media or a published article on LinkedIN are all easy (and often free) ways to publish your content.
- Interact with your audience – Do not just post and think that´s it. No matter the delivery platform, interact with your audience; answer questions, “Like” comments, respond to messages, etc. Focus on helping and giving, not on getting. Content marketing is about your audience and building relationships; it´s not about you.
- Keep content fresh – Topical news is shareable news, so let the seasons and current events inspire you! Using Summertime as an example: A Rotorua B&B might write an article about “The Top 10 Things To Do in Rotorua This Summer”. If you’re a childcare provider, you might offer recommendations for children and sun protection. No matter the business, there are endless opportunities for content creation.
Still at a loss?
Come see Dubzz. As a part of our myriad digital marketing services, we provide content marketing solutions; whether you need guidance creating, editing, or distributing content – we can help!